Sunday, 1 December 2013

If You Had a Barn...

So, I went to see Wayne last week. He told me what I knew. Nothing like a diagnosis or what to do about it. Not quite true, but simply that I'd not been doing my exercises or stretches. He knew that. I knew that! He rolled me around a bit, took my money...then delivered the killer blow. 'Same time next week'. Clever. So now, you see, I've been stretching, exercising and actually a bit of sensible eating. Until last night, that is. I've turned a corner, got a grip and a bit of focus.


I need to demonstrate progress. To myself. A frosty morning yesterday as I went for a short one, the benefits of a dirty car left an impressive icy pattern. It was a crisp morning and my favourite barn looked impressive. I'm curious about this barn and the colour, and can only conclude 'why not?' On mornings like this, the owner must conclude this was an inspired choice. I'd like to think there was some kind of barn brochure, with colour charts and accessories. I like it.


But I liked more the brief wonder of a few moments of stunning sunset over Wilmslow last night. It lasted just 5 minutes or so, but this carpet of colour lit up the sky like never before. Not such a great view this morning, I got stuck behind a slow moving horse box. Hard to complain, though. The thing about horse lorries round here is that they're driven by Cheshire ladies of leisure...wearing jodhpurs and boots. It's distracting! I stopped and waved them by, even though they weren't catching me up.

A run up to Hare Hill and over the other side, I almost made the entire 12 mile route off road, which may not sound like a big deal, but it takes a bit of planing to pick your way round the roads and junctions of suburbia. I had an incredible food hangover and could barely move this  morning. I thought an off road run would disguise my lack of speed had I chosen the road. There was no disguise, my pace was woeful. Good Key Lime Pie, though. Wayne again tomorrow.