Wednesday, 18 December 2013

Do It...While You Can

I'm in Iceland and have been working with a guy whose job was to find IED's in Afghanistan. Imagine that for a responsibility. 'Risky' hardly covers it. Needless to say, he has no legs now, hence our meeting, pretty much like anyone I meet in my work. I don't think I'll ever be complacent over stories or experiences such as these, yet I'm not one to overly sympathise, in the conventional sense. These stories are extraordinarily fascinating, humbling and I like to explore, probe and understand. And to respect! 

I like to say, it puts my own personal issues into some kind of perspective. But it doesn't. My knees are aching, and boy am I bitching about it. It's snowing here but I managed a great run outside the other morning. There's something special that drew me out into the darkness to the lighthouse. Had to be done. Yet last night I was cajoled into going to a gym and doing sprint drills on a treadmill. Too slippy outside for prosthetics. There were a few shocking sights in the gym, yet they stare at my legless friend. 

It's a great place, Iceland. I've said it before and will no doubt continue doing so while I'm lucky enough to visit here under the pretence of work. It has a deep and rich culture. The delicacy of subtle home comforts in my hotel contrast with the mighty bulk of another trawler dragged up into the yard across the road. It's a slumbering behemoth towering above my bedroom window. Yet you know these boats are tossed around in the unforgiving oceans round here. And the old boy in reception?

He's seen some things too. A family member of a colleague of mine made him, and a host of other figures dotted around. There is charm and warmth at odds with the weather outside. I almost got to run with another club here, but my flight was delayed so missed out. I hadn't planned for snow. Bit of a school boy error really! I hauled myself out. Running outside at night, crisp snow on the ground, big flakes in my face causing involuntary blinking...good times. If you can do these things, then do them. There are many who wish they could, but can't.