I've been trying to remember my last race this year. OK, it was Saturday at Sherdley Park, but I mean before that. After such a racy first half of the year, I really have to check and conclude it was Great Warford, back in August. What on earth have I been doing? Jeremy was asking me the other day and I was explaining busy this, not ready that and so on. He then made direct reference to my "lack of confidence". Hang on, those aren't words I used, or implied. But he was right!
I was crapping it on the start line on Saturday. Why? Nothing to do with my bumps, bruises, rattles and knocks. No, it was not knowing how this would end. Fear of the unknown. A lack of confidence! The XC route here, weaves up and down, left and right, squeezing the three lap race into a pretty tight space. As Steve said, nowhere to hide! And then the gun goes, and it's business as usual. Jostling, pushing, shoving until eventually there's a bit of space and you look around and get down to business.
I had a pretty good run, I think. Not as 'sharp' as I have been, a relative term, meaning my mind deflated somewhat during the last lap, but although I didn't wear a watch it seems I finished a minute faster than last year. I'll take that. My Sunday long run was with Sharon and 14 miles of uncomfortable chatty running. She ran the legs off me and left me with sweaty elbow pits (cubital fossa, on a weekday). Never seen that before and was a bit self-conscious walking into Starbucks after. Confidence issues?


