A good run, I've recently concluded, is not simply a matter of where you run, but also, and indeed critically for me, when! For some reason, I've not yet dug out my head torch. If I had, then this undoubtedly would free up options of where I can get to. And because I haven't, I've been limiting myself to run within the boundaries of street-lit areas. And that means mingling with other people...and that, I think, is what's putting me off. This is what I'm thinking as I sit in traffic on the way home.
Contemplating where, or if I should run tonight. Complex! It could quite simply be resolved by charging my head torch. But that means a degree of forethought, which I seem to lack. So last night, I took a fresh approach. Acknowledging that there is nothing to see, I took a deep breath, many deep breaths, and engaged my nose. Apparently, I have a 'strong' nose, though I suspect this is my mums language for 'son, I'm sorry but you have a big nose, your fathers nose, deal with it'. Or is that my brother? I forget.
It may be partially why I'm sympathetic/attracted to a 'good' nose in the fairer sex. Whatever, last night I focused on things I could smell. It's a bit weird, but if you hold your concentration for a while, you really can map your way round a route. For sure there were traffic fumes, but plenty of pork chops, garlic and gravy. Then cigarette smoke coming out of a few cars, one with a very strong smell of weed. The farm in Handforth offered a cocktail of damp hay, cow/horse/manure type smells, and cabbage.
Then there was the fizz of Eau de toilette pour homme (Lynx Africa) that cyclist was wearing, leaving an almost visible vapour trail like the old Bisto Gravy ads. I sneezed! And when I stopped...there was me! It was a damp, foggy evening and the smells were heavy, pungent and lingering. Not quite as stimulating as a good view, but certainly there was engagement and variety. I'm pleased to report, my head torch is on charge. Next time I shall escape the suburban landscape and let my senses explore further afield.



