Saturday, 6 April 2013

Good Times!

It was clearly 'Innuendo Friday' in the office yesterday, judging by the sniggering from my colleagues as I was giving tips for 'James-2 weeks to London' over the phone regarding his impending visit to Physio Wayne. James is now in that state where his hard earned investment in training has been dutifully deposited. The fitness account is full and he sees only leaky holes and cracks where his efforts can be stolen from him. On the taper, he is now in the market for company and I ran with him in the week. 

It reminded me of running an egg and spoon race, such is the fragility of his state not to err from the schedule and risk injury or worse! The outcome of this was a visit to Wayne as he suspected shin splints. Tomorrow it could be a cold, a hamstring, indigestion...he's a target for them all. Feeling slightly responsible, though I'm not sure how, it just happened that I had an appointment with Wayne for yesterday, so offered my slot to James as his need was immediate and urgent, whereas mine was recreational. 

Wayne has helped keep me going over the years, mainly with Physio and occasionally with massage. But James hasn't been before...he usually sees a sports therapist girl who makes him cry, but wasn't available. Crisis, then! And so I was suggesting to James on the phone that Wayne by comparison is a little 'soft', and maybe as such he should ask him to 'go hard and deep', along with references that he won't make 'you bite the pillow like you're used to'...and so it went on. All very innocent, until I looked up at smirking faces. 

I doubt if they'd heard the full conversation the innuendo would have receded. During my rescheduled appointment I was recalling this, as I hiked up my shorts so my quads could be mashed and also remember a comment from a colleague who while out cycling said he'd once seen a group of runners 'in skin tight Lycra doing posy stretching 'n' shit'...and with that, his image and opinions of runners was set. I don't fight it. In fact, I was in a good place. The nature of my appointment was not one of 'repair' which it is usually. 

But for once, this was an almost unnecessary maintenance session. The sort you discuss when injured during your promises to continue stretching and those curious floor exercises to strengthen this or that side of your muscle or what ever it is that's been diagnosed today, and robbing you of your chance to enjoy this thing you love doing. Yes, throwing money at the problem in the hope of fixing what Father Time and his colleagues seem intent on breaking. 

Yes, what I am acknowledging here, is that all is rosy in the running garden right now. For once I appear to be injury free and my form is good...and I'm very keen also, like James, to protect my investment and fix my roof while the sun is shinning. After last weeks 10k, I've been getting a bit of advice on training. I got a ParkRun PB this morning. 19.15. Not bad considering it's running across footie fields and trails. And the Fun Fare was in the Park...Good Times (assuming you don't drink, don't ride a bike or got any mates).