On a day like this, 2 laps round an industrial estate in Crewe wouldn't ordinarily be on my radar for a crisp Sunday morning. Up on the Edge, that'd be the place watching the waking morning as the heavy mist slowly reveals the day. If there wasn't already a degree of pressure on myself to perform well today, then my performance of last week has caught the attention of the 'others'. There was lots of 'you'll do well today' talk, which of course I tried to play down.
On the way there, the team limo was all talk of why we were all so nervous...what did we have to prove and to whom. Everything and everybody were the two responses we couldn't escape from, aside from the ultimate line we all wish to avoid '...and most of all, you've let yourself down'. So, no pressure then. Once again, no interest in a time, as such, today was for points, but still had my Garmin set to pace and average pace. And indeed spent the first two miles looking down in disbelief encouraging myself to slow down.
But then at 2 miles, or thereabouts, I had a feeling as if I had entered some kind of zone...a higher level, almost. At which point I looked forwards, saw a couple of Wilmslow guys in the distance, took a deep breath and upped the ante. Perhaps this is how you feel if you do a proper warm up, but I was running 5k pace, and with a mile to go I usually feel close to death, not ready for a final fast 4. A couple of 6.35's, followed by 6.24's and a final mile at 6.01. 6.19 average and a time of 39.20 and another PB by almost 3 1/2 minutes. Nice.
Indeed, the entire car had PB's today. I didn't even look at my watch for a time until we set off for home, as I was chasing position. Imagine if I took this seriously! But how could I...there wasn't even any cake afterwards. So the next SS race isn't for another two weeks, another 10K. This allows for some more running for fun. Tonight there will be red wine and chocolate. I'm quite happy with my efforts, but most of all, I still pleased I got up yesterday for that quick trip up Shutts. That's what it's all about.

