Saturday, 30 March 2013

Long Trip, Short Run...Worth It

It seemed like a great idea, blue sunny skies forecast and the seed of a thought that would have me on the top of Shuttlingsloe taking in the views of the early morning. Coming home on Thursday I caught sight of the hills in the distance. Snowcapped, inviting. Forecast checked and looking good for either Friday or Saturday. Just one issue, it's Crewe 10k on Sunday, so I didn't really relish a full assault on the hills, so figured that if I drive to the top car park, I could run along the top which is relatively flat but for the last ascent. 

I don't normally speak to myself in the car, but an audible and perfectly justified 'fuuuuuck' slipped from my lips as I realised the potential enormity of my mistake. The road, narrow on a good day, was banked with ploughed snow, becoming increasingly narrower and more covered in snow the further I went...like a frightened cat whose only option of survival is to climb a oneway journey to the top of a tree. Long story short, I had to reverse down a very steep, slippy hill for over a mile, praying that no-one else would come along. 

Thankfully no other idiots on the road this morning and my humiliation spared. So I did have to take the longer route, but took it really steady. Cold, and a few snow drifts here and there refusing to budge, despite the bright sun emitting perceptible heat. But it was low in the sky, casting eerie shadows over the slopes. As a run, it was just enough to keep my legs turning over and hopefully hasn't taken anything out of them for tomorrow. It'll be my first competitive  10k for some time. 

James-3weeks to London, who smashed the Wilmslow Half last week with a 1.23, has a last long run tomorrow before starting his taper, so won't be joining in Crewe. I had a bit of mixed up week for running around after the Half. Away for a few days, missing training, but managed to get a few good pacey runs in Wednesday and Thursday. I need to protect and build on my current form, but it seems like the race season has taken a grip and racing and training curiously seem at odds with each other. Either way, whatever this morning took from my legs, it more than added to my soul.