Thursday, 24 January 2013

If You Go Down in the Woods Today...

Running around in the dark with your mates is fun. Running around in the dark on your own, less so and raises a few questions. I went early this morning, pre dawn with my head torch convinced I'd be alone down in Styal Woods. I mean, seriously, who would be roaming around the woods at this time in the morning in the pitch black? Quite a few it seems. I'm not really a questioning or doubtful person. If anything more the opposite - naive. But what do you say to someone you find roaming the paths in that situation? 

Sure a few of them had dogs, or at least a pair of luminous jade marbles, for that's all I could see reflecting back, but I'm sure some of them were just on their own. It certainly helped put a spring in my step, curiously reminding me of Alan Partridge as he escaped from Jed Maxwell shouting "you're a mentalist". Still, I enjoyed the enormous beam of my new Hope R4 head torch. You can never have too many lumens, can you? Then when I got home, a friend of mine sent me a photo of her run up Kinder. An idyllic snowy scene if ever there was one. Quite a contrast!