Having a full set of your own arms and legs, your health and being relatively injury free are things we take so much for granted. All I wanted from this mornings run was to see the sun rise. My only objective. No distance required as part of a training plan, no pace to measure progress, no future event to target. I simply got out of bed and went for a run...because I can. And when I can't, the emotions are usually puerile, shallow, childish almost. 'But why not?', I demand. 'It's not fair', I've actually said this out loud, and I'm meant to be an adult!
I feel cheated, chastised, punished. So this morning I paid respect to the fortunate and fragile set of circumstances that enables me to do this, to be outside, warm when the frost and ice crackles under my feet, miles from home yet happy to push on further and to watch the day reveal itself through a tremendous dawn twilight. Then as the sun rises, the long shadows falling over the orange glow of the ground, set in contrast to a steely blue sky. It's some spectacle. These photo's don't quite capture the moment. Or the 20 others!
The run took me up The Bollin, ultimately to Hare Hill. A few days ago this was ankle deep and more in mud and muck. The recent frost and cold spell has made a thin crust. If you're lucky you'll glide over it. You can hear the cracking, the strain of this thin veneer of hope. Then a softer crunch. A breach and a rapid arrest of progress. Icy cold crap up to your shins. In one area, a gate had fallen, looking like an archaeological find, gently exposing itself to the modern world. Of course, it's the opposite that's true.
It was maybe 12 or so miles. The furthest I've run for a while. Running without agenda is why I run. Or one of the reasons, the main reason, the reason that offers the greatest reward. Running this morning ruled me out of running in the Boggart Hole Clough XC this afternoon. I went to watch. And yet my inherent disconnection with XC was strangely stirred. Would I have rather done this, or dick around taking sunlit frosty photo's of myself in someones driveway mirror? (My inner child). It matters not, the fact I have choice is the answer and the reward.

