Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Breach of the Performance Envelope

No blog for a week now, no new photos to share with a story to tell and that's because there's been no running. Shin splints! Cock. I'm sort of over it now, emotionally that is. Time is a great healer and I've tried to be all very grown up about it, but have only managed a 'I don't want to talk about it', which essentially means I don't even want to think about it...but I'm not to run for another 3 weeks. It's been coming for a while, now I think back, but at the time I thought it was just another set of aches and pains. 

I assumed they'd ebb away, but no! It came to a head when I was running in Copenhagen. That kind of pain when you're desperately pressing, probing, groping and just looking and staring hopelessly at an area on your leg, but simply unable to locate the source of this stabbing burning pain that can't be rubbed away. This was last Monday and I wasn't to make it home until Thursday, by which time I'd booked an appointment with Wayne. It was enough time for me to pre-empt his diagnosis and get used to the idea. He said I've been operating outside of my performance envelope! Nice.

So there we are. Not allowed to run until I can hop pain free on my right leg. I'm not going to list the events I'll miss and trying hard not to dwell on the issue of food and fitness. In fact, I've been starting to feel really fresh and rested, but lately realised this was due to the pain killers and anti-inflammatories. Oh well! But for now, I feel like I've had to let running go. I'm so busy at work, I can't cling onto hopeless dreams in addition to everything else. So here I offer a photo of Christmas lights as I run by fast, a knackered compression sock and an inspirational message. No connection.