Thursday, 29 November 2012

More Dark

I would liked to have run early this morning, or anytime really, I would just loved to have run.  A sharp frost, a low hanging moon in a steely blue sky, dawn was a spectacle. I've spent most of the past 3 days out in the dark or in airports, either chasing an ambitious connection, or in stasis feeling my life ebb away. It's fatiguing and I was already tired after spending the night with Erika on Tuesday. A huge trawler in the Reykjavik dry dock, almost within reaching distance from my window, her lights on all night while her needs were attended to. 

I was going to run on Wednesday morning, round the airport before my meetings. But I didn't. I did run in Copenhagen on Monday evening though. Yes, I enjoyed that. It was my plan, ambitious but I did it. I went out to the docks and found a place to do half mile reps. It was busy, a couple of other running groups I got tangled up with, invited to join. It was great. There was no real chat. Just grunts, a common understanding, a nod and a half smile as we went our separate ways into the night. It was a very satisfying experience, doing speed work on your own.

I knew I'd be away and miss training. It's Match 3 this weekend in the cross country. I'd needed to keep the momentum going. A good weekend of running behind me, a busy work schedule can bring all the good work crashing down. It's challenging enough to eat well. Exercise is a bonus. But something's not right. My right shin is killing me, not just after my reps, but now when I walk. It's been there a while. I've been waiting for it to disappear. It didn't. That's why I didn't run this morning, or yesterday. So I'm just back from the physio. And I'm pissed off.