The fun starts once the handicap times have been released. "Oh come on, seriously...". It goes on right until the start, continues during and of course after the race itself. Fun, that's what this is about, and a chance for everyone to snatch victory. And massively competitive! This engages everybody from all the groups as we all share the 'what ifs...' That point proved by the look of shock and delight from Janet, and the words of "oh my God, I've never won anything before", as I crossed the line.
I liked that, I thought, bent double, gasping for air and trying to prevent collapse in that way all your bodily functions simultaneously shut down the instant you cross the finish. It was a tough race. These always are, that unique feeling of chasing with good effect rather than hopeless ambition, but also being chased down from behind with very real and closing threat. It was tight at the finish, almost planned! A second more and I'd have come nowhere. I came 4th and got a prize. Deserving or handicap fluke...I don't care.
Well, obviously I do, we all do and like everyone else I was more keen to check the raw times, but subtly so, not wanting to appear too competitive and challenge the spirit of the moment. My actual time wasn't shabby either. But the bar was full of stories of Christmas excess rather than athletic prowess, excuses if you will. My shin, injury, my excuse, that's what I pointed at in the queue for more cake. And good cake it was too, a fine selection of home baked items and a cup of builders tea. Excellent.


