I knew it was time to leave Pete to it when the lights went off! It was little surreal; he was doing that man thing, attempting to master the Sky TV remote multi room function. There was much muttering, pressing of buttons and at one point, we even discussed looking for the instructions. Obviously it didn't come to that, but after one final lunge of button pushing, it went dark. Coincidence perhaps, but about as random as any outcome he'd achieved to that point. Still, he got to see SPOTY.
I voted for Weir. I was there and saw each of his middle distance track events. His performance was huge. The competition was real and threatening. Middle distance racing at its best, wheelchair or otherwise! Watching the awards rekindled some of those extreme emotions of the summer Games. The 'roar' of the crowd, a noise like no other, the genuine excitement for awesome sport, that smug feeling of it being a 'home' event, all playing back on the TV. Weir was awesome, but Wiggo entertained. Sports Personality? I'd say so. A fair result.
I went to RunClubs Christmas do on Saturday. In the clubs version of Sports Personality of the Year, I nominated Pete for his efforts in Eilat. He came 3rd, beaten by one who'd done the Bob Graham Round and another who carried the Flame. Neither of those turned up. Pete sat there looking humbled and shy, despite the fact he secretly was wearing his medal under his tux. I think he was pleased to be nominated, despite protesting that I'd set him up for fail. 'Third', he said, 'I don't do third'!
Our table did well. Chris rewarded for his staying power, a full house in 2011 and 21 of 22 in 2012 for the Summer Series, and Sharon a group winner and the most improved. And Rob for an impressive result in IM Wales. Me...it seems I featured in the 'guess the runners body parts' competition. I was No.18, the arse. Everyone guessed right, it seems. Quite why someone took a photo of my arse, I've no idea. Not quite 'rear of the year', but close! I'll think twice about wearing those leggings again!
And speaking of next time, tonight I will do another short run. I did in fact manage a pain free short run on Saturday morning, just to The Mill and back, but it was good to be out. A non-descript day if ever there was one, grey grey grey. Nothing really to report, no real reawakening of running emotions, but good to get moving for sure, and some good stretching. Work is finished for the year and today I'm tidying, useful stuff like sorting the wires behind my own TV. We have no Sky, or wireless this or that...just wires. Just as chaotic.




