Of course, that whole thing about 'strength', specifically mental strength, is because I have an issue with the exercise bike at home. It's just exercise...and it sucks. Seven weeks tomorrow since I last ran. Except that's not quite true! I had my scan results this week. Stress fracture. Tiny, but because it's taken so long to get to this stage, the results also showed that it's almost healed. I was told I wasn't allowed to run until I'd been for a biomechanical assessment. He hesitated when he hold me this...on the brink of saying I could run, but wanted to have my footwear evaluated. I've been through all this before and know about the pros and cons of insoles. Tedious. And questionable. But, I have to wait. Nonetheless, I know my ankle is in good shape, so I came up with a plan.
Maybe I'll do a hard bike session, then immediately pop out for a run. I'd be tired and unlikely to want to push it, so planned an hour on the bike than a 2 mile loop I know. I put some running kit down by the bike, ready for a quick change. That hour on the bike flew by. Then kit on, shoes on and out. I was tired, and it was hard. Dripping with sweat, then plunging outside into the sub zero evening, I soon froze. To the core. The ground still covered in frozen compacted snow made it hard going. Slipping and skidding, panting and gasping for breath as I ran up some steps on the Summerfields loop, I struggled for grip and steady controllable pace. My knees ached and my back hurt and within 20 minutes I was back. I was back...and had lived and breathed more in those 20 minutes than I have in the past 7 weeks.

