Like most Sunday mornings recently, I awoke pretending I could speak Italian, or Danish, or Swedish, depending on whatever the BBC4-Saturday-Evening-Subtitled-Cop-Drama of the moment is. Such is the level of concentration required to follow fast moving subtitles, it seems to etch in my brain and linger. Inspector Montalbano and the million mile an hour Italian dialogue is particularly hard to follow, despite the actual drama being more like Bergerac for pace and plot.
I didn't run yesterday, it rained. Coincidence! But I did a double whammy on Friday, something Pete might call a brick session, or some housing material reference I don't quite understand. But I can only run for 20 mins at a time just now, so I add it on the end of a bike session, and that somehow makes the whole exercise episode worthwhile. This morning, I was greeted with sunshine and frost...and the company of James for a drive/run out to the Wizard. Ice on the car roof suggested crisp underfoot conditions. Reality was somewhat different, but just as fun. Fun...there, that didn't take long to reference, did it? After two miles, James and I had already experienced lung busting hills, ankle deep mud, blinding sunshine, crisp blues skies and a curious footpath situation.
All this has been the best outdoor running around fun I've had since that fateful Christmas Eve outing. It was brilliant. Round the back of Hare Hill, our path was briefly arrested by some red and white tape and a sign saying footpath closed. That, then, is a footpath for us. Turns out it was just a minor flooding of the footbridge, not something that should cause too much concern. I was straight across, while James was on the brink of a refusal. Not quite knee deep, but a good way to christen my new trail shoes, I thought.
It was a great run, and my first time up the Wizard this year. I don't recall the parking situation being anything too taxing before, but couldn't help notice that I was a tad close to remodelling the front of the car. Another slice of that Apple cake I made yesterday and an extra helping of whatever it was James had last night that was venting from his person, and I may have had an afternoon of buffing ahead of me. Instead, I have homemade leek and potato soup and fresh bread to look forward to. Arrivederci.
