Wednesday, 15 February 2012

The Money Shot

I'm officially running again. So on Monday morning I went through a routine that I've not performed for over 7 weeks. I didn't know I had a routine, I'd like to think when it comes to matters of a routine nature, I'm a free spirit and an independent thinker, a zagger, while the others zig. Routine...not me. But here I was kneeling at the alter that is my kit drawer, something I must have done hundreds of times before without thought. And yet I had to think hard about what it is I wear for running and where it all is. In my first skim, it was clear I'd forgotten some essential kit and was denied exit from the house until I had on my hi-viz, my hat and an extra layer, as seemingly it's been cold out there. But I also had forgotten my phone. Not that I make a habit of chatting on the phone as I run around, but I do like to take a photo or two, to record the moment, capture the essence of my mood and why I like to do what I do. And I like my blog to  have a photo. My trusty iPhone is the best camera I have, despite owning a better camera! In matters like this, I agree with Stephen Fry who is an advocate of form over function in the face of all those nay sayers who believe people are seduced by style over substance.

Fry states that if you like something, you will use it more and therefore has more function and usefulness to you than something that is technically better but less likely to emerge from the man draw. A crap camera in my pocket is better than an awesome camera at home. Trust me, I like a gadg, but my trusty iPhone is hard to beat for everyday usability and capturing a moment, and with an app like Snapseed, you can be pretty creative with your photos if you choose. A photo of a deserted roundabout at 6.30 in the morning may look un-inspiring, but to me this was my first jaunt back to proper running, feeling the undulations of the road under my feet, my heart beating in response to the subtle changing terrain, my nose discharging what ever has been lurking up there these past weeks. This photo represents all of that...and more. This was the money shot, and my best photo of the year so far.