It all starts here...well, a little further back for me, but the excitment, anticipatation and general feeling of impending doom at the start line is a curious feeling. It's time to start running around.
Wilmslow Half Marathon is essentially upon us. No longer months or actual weeks to go, as once there was, but now in fact eight days away. Too late now, even for James-style last minute cramming, crash dieting or other short term performance enhancing initiatives. Pete has declared himself 'ill' this weekend, pre-empting the inevitable effect on his quest for a PB, the first of what will no doubt be a number of excuses among us, in anticipation of a set of poor results.
Why do we do this? It seems to be very important. If you run and 'get it' then you 'get it'. You know who you are! I get it, but sometimes I'm not sure why. The WHM is something I've done every year for many years now. I have to do it, I need a PB, it's just one and a half hours of teeth clenching, stomach churning, bone aching, muscle tearing, lung bursting pain. Sounds fun, doesn't it! Trust me, it is...mostly.
This then, my first post, sets the background to a new season of running, and what better time to start this than at the dawn of the years Blue Ribbon event, the Wilmslow Half. I don't know what the year will hold, or where the running will take me, but I'm looking for new experiences, new challenges...something that allows me to be outside and free, to enjoy the air, the sky and my thoughts. Running around...love it.