Of course, the WHM isn't really the start of my running year. It just seems that way. It will be a symbolic return to the arena of running, though I'm not sure I'll actually be returning as such. To be clear, I got injured last year and everything kind of fell apart. If you've been injured then you'll know it's a miserable proposition. Unable to do what you enjoy, robbed of your fitness and the daunting vision of trying to get back to where you were seems impossible. So since those dark nights of November lying in my hospital bed, it's been a systematic and ever so incremental journey to where we are now. When the gun goes on Sunday morning, that will draw a line under this period. Back on running form, the prospect of light mornings and sunny evenings, able now to enjoy it having put in the work over winter, the frosty morning runs, the pitch black night time runs fumbling away in the woods and fields worrying the livestock, trying carefully to push, but not to punish, managing the emotional lows and reaping the rewards and delight of the highs. Oh, and the agonising physiotherapy, yes that also. In many ways, its been a dark period, emotionally and seasonaly. But running around has remained a focus, a passion, something to covet. Is it really worth it? You bet. It's been a tough journey, but oh-so worth it!
| Weighty |
| Cakey |
Whereas I'm not sure if running around is good for the body, it's certainly good for the soul...and ones appetite for cake. And curiously I find myself significantly lighter than I was before I was injured, and also considerably fitter. The winter, it seems, has done me good. Ironic.
Being injured sucks...but we've made it back!