Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Recovery Run



Green Gold
My soul has been soothed, smoothed, smoothied even, and for a moment, all seems well with the world. Peachy, though not literally, more pineapply...hmmm! However, having digested this yellowy greeny gold, the matter of what else to do today has been dictated by a brotherly need from afar. Aside from all of this, I did want to run...a recovery run. I've not tried these before, but I was curious to read up on the concept. All I knew was that my body was calling for me to be outside in the late arriving sun, once it had burned its way through the early morning mist. A good debate on recovery runs can be found in the RW forum here and another here.

To be honest, my legs feel shot. Not an unfamiliar feeling, they will heal, but I'm not sure what I gained from my modest jaunt down into the Park...the warm sun on my face, the smell of freshly cut grass, the sound of dogs splashing in the river, the sense of the ground firming up under my feet signalling the end of winter muddy runs, the smug self satisfaction that I can do this...not much really. All this helped my soul, if not my limbs.

Ed takes me, then aims at Christine - disappointing

So this is how yesterday finished. Having been taken by Christine about a mile back, she never really got in front of me that much, and I sensed was coming back to me. So too was Ed. I was on his heels for most of the second half, until he almost stopped with about 300m to go. I had to go, knowing he was saving himself for a big finish...so I did, and pulled away. Yeah...then just as the end was in sniffing distance, he raced past and then got Christine. 



Disappointed!
I don't remember much about the line, or the finish straight. I didn't hear the crowdy cheers, didn't see the big clock, didn't stop my watch and didn't managed to move literally one step beyond the finish line, despite the bellowing instructions from the tabarded gestapo. I was done and had been done over. Drained of energy and emotions, I crawled over to the side, shook hands, stood up, and turned round.



Have I recovered? Possibly. There's been a little discussion about the days highs, lows and anti climaxes. Some feelings shared and recognition of a moment lost. And though there has been much moaning and groaning, there's also acknowledgment that what has been done here, to feel this pain, is special. You're taken to another place, a deep place in the darkest corner of your mind. And for those who do this, then this is where their strength can be found. If you get this, then you get it...and there is nothng else to be said.