Tuesday, 22 March 2011

A Season Concluded

So, what you see here represents a summary of my running achievements of 2010. A mug!

Actually, that's not true. 2010 was a good year for running, and indeed a good haul of mugs on my desk indicates as much. Some represent genuine running achievements, others represent the treasured memories and emotions of the moment. So I don't mean to belittle this little mug, it tells its own story. I like a mug. Whereas to some, these are simply vessels for so called 'manly' or 'gay' tea, I'm happy to admit that these are small but significant trophies. I don't like having my mugs interfered with, it distrurbs me. One of my mugs almost met its maker today, curiously I wouldn't have minded under the circumstances, but I digress. It's quite possible that in another life, I'd be happy to collect teapots, but thats a story for another time.

Pretty much a year ago, James and I considered the position of our names on the Wilmslow Running Club 2009 Summer Series mug. The Summer Series is an internal competition (more of which on another occasion) and represents the your best 7 results of 20 races over the season. It's fair to say that we were 'mid table'. And as the mugs were presented, we vowed that next year our aim would be to get our names in the first column of the result listings on the mug. And so this evening, after training, we had the ceremony* of announcing the results of the 2010 Summer Series. You may note from the picture that our objective was reached. Equally you may conclude that such variables aren't simply based on performance, but also mug size, printing artwork, the total number of names and therefore columns. None of this mattered. We know we improved and we are now first column runners...no argument. 15th out of 60. Hello.

* Ceremony - a semi social event consisting of tea, coffee or in my case specially requested hot chocolate, sandwiches, not that I noticed those too much, and cake. Lots of cake. The venue was 'Fruitcake' in Alderley edge. There's a clue in the title! Thank you Tony.

Did I mention training? Yes. I've only been back a few times now this year. I'm not sure anyone enjoys it. It's tough, it hurts and is essentially vomit inducing self torture. Take a look below. Sure, I like to run around, but here during a tough session, it's around and around...many times, and that after a lot of running up and down, and more up and down. But after, you feel great. Self satisfied. It's tough to do on your own. Tough to do in a group, but it's great to do it with people who enjoy it, who are thankful for the efforts to make it challenging, yet fresh and stimulating. But training works, makes you better at being able to enjoy your normal running more...whatever that is.