Monday, 18 July 2016

Hot Rain

It's been a mixed week and weekend of running. In fact, as I write this, I too am getting all tied up with the weather. All running is great...I take what I can get. Mid week the skies were super blue first thing in the mornings. I'm still creating new routes from my new place. They're essentially the the same routes, but the distances have changed a little, in that I don't run a circular route as I always stop at my coffee shop, but there's a bit of fine tuning to make sure each of them isn't just short of a full mile. Obsessive, I know.

I was parkrun Run Director on Saturday. Set up is a reasonably well oiled machine, but at 8.30 I was wondering if anyone was going to turn up, including the marshals. We we're short on help, which adds pressure to those who commit. There was a tired feeling to the morning, everyone complaining about the rain and everything else. I'd already been out for my run, up to the woods. The sound of rain on the tree canopy above, the hot humid conditions, the lush green flora and fauna...it was great.

So in my pre run briefing, I mentioned the rain, the misery, the cold, the unpleasantness...and added with fiery verve "...and are we bothered?" NO, was the cheery and energised reply of 100 park runners...and off they went. It cleared up later and was a pleasant day out...if you were out. Sainsburys is as far as I got...big shop, but forgot my wallet, and had to be 'off-loaded'. I returned later, after the staff change... It was big bike ride on Sunday, the one I had planned for last weekend before I was reduced to my knees.

I had intended to run Macc Forrest, but instead bottled and opted for an early ride out. Again, I may have missed the best part of the day, but out early in the woodland mist, it was the lush greens that caught my eye. It was hot and humid. I'm sure the others had the sun and the bacon, but I had my moment. I have a big ride coming up in a few weeks and I've been needing to get some hills in my legs. I swear, I think I'd rather run up some of these hills than cycle. In fact I have run up these hills, but when running, you do at least have options.

At the very worst, you end up jogging on the spot unable to actually move forward, but on a bike there's the stark realisation that you've rather too quickly run out of gears, run out of talent and run out of power. I avoided coming to a stop...but only just. It was a great ride, lots of climb. A long walk later in the afternoon, to ease my legs, I sat and watched a heron...or visa versa. It was baking not, and I fell asleep on the bench. Must have looked a bit odd, but I'm bushed and clearly needed the rest.