Sunday, 3 July 2016

A Return to Shutts

I didn't think I'd be able or available to 'Run the bypass' at Alderley Edge this morning. But I found myself free to pop up the road to watch...and missed the start...and the finish. The bypass is the dullest section of road known to man. By that, I mean it's one the best surfaced, attractively landscaped and tidiest stretches of road I know. But not for running. It's where Pete and I come to build our character in the belief that this kind of running is good for us, like greens, or milk, or cod-liver-oil and other things that your mum made you take...

 

...because they're good for you! It was an out and back 5 miler today, the start finish at the Wilmslow end. As I arrived, the front runners had just finished. I was struck at how much atmosphere and colour this dreary stretch of road had with 800 people making their mark. I was also entertained by the fact the the lead course car was a bright red Ferrari 458. This is Alderley Edge after all, and unless you're one of those people who can't handle other peoples success, then I thought 'why not'. Ostentatious, yes. Fun and entertaining...absolutely.

 

I found Chris in his yellow tabard excercising authority beyond his remit, meaning just being extra helpful for those myriad questions people have at events like this. We walked back into the village and basked in hot sunshine chewing the phat over coffee. There is much to discuss! Earlier I was up at Shttlingsloe. The last time I was here, I was wearing my boot...and eating salmon and cream cheese bagels and drinking champagne. But that's another story. Today's visit was a more solitary affair. It was sunny, warm and very quiet. Perfect...almost.