Sunday, 15 May 2016

£1

It was time for my walk. Not my rehab walk, but it would count to that, but a bit of an habitual situation I'm in for the last few Sundays in the late afternoon. Being sunny has helped, a need to get out while it's fresh, but still warm, and it seems I've been finding myself with a Magnum in my hand. A chance and unexpected stroll into the village and in to Tesco stumbling upon a treat. Nice. Today it happened the other way round. Sunny, late afternoon, I felt I was in need of a Magnum...

 

...in need of a cheer-up, so I'd walk to Tesco with this singular intention, no need to pretend it was excercise or anything...I just needed icecream. Seemingly there has been an offer on, not that this has swayed me, but today I made sure I had the £1 I needed. I went up stairs especially to get it. It was on the table next to my bed. And outside Tesco there was a sign confirming this. Magnum £1. A had my £1, exactly £1, indeed only £1, in one hand and now my Magnum White in the other, I mean there is no other option really other than Magnum White.

 

I had to rummage under a mound of Magnum Classic and Double Chocolate to find a solitary White. I was excited, ready...desperate. And the checkout girl said £1.60 please. And that's pretty much how it's been going this week. Being told one thing, only to discover something different, trying to do the right thing, only to be tripped and fall foul. The running hasn't really been working out either. I tried one more run, or walk/run, and decided to knock it off and wait for my routine Physio appointment. My heel hurt like a bastard.

 

He listened to my symptoms with the intensity and stoney silence of a man being told his wife was having an affair. Right, he said after what seemed like an age of him staring me in the eye. And then he told me what it could be or what it might not be, but either way no more running until tomorrow morning. Back to the track, then. It's heartbreaking being told I can't run, when you hear of others who are. That was Thursday. It's like a bad dream. The harder I try the deeper I sink. What to do? I walked back...for another £1. Never give up.