Monday, 4 January 2016

Still a Runner

There was a moment the other day when i suddenly thought 'oooh, this might be my last run in 2015'. It made me stop, just to look around and drink in the moment. As a moment in time, it's intangible, indistinguishable from the any other moment in real terms. There was nothing to indicate this was a moment on the cusp of one year to the next. It was just a moment. But this moment was that magic 10 mins, just as the sun is about to rise. The skies go through a colourific transformation...and then it's gone.

If you're there, you may choose to see it. If you're not, you missed out. We all know it's been wet, there's no need to go on about that. But this morning in question was a brief period of respite from the wind and the rain...namely Frank! The sun was just breaking through an early and eerie morning mist. I just stood and watched. A moment to reflect. It's been a mixed year for me. I realise on the running front, I've been beaten. Any fight I once had to prove myself with speedy times or lengthy distances has gone...for now.

I'm simply grateful to be out. I guess I could call myself a recreational runner now. I've not raced all year and have taken that on the chin. I don't miss the racing, but accept that with the racing came fitness, travels and adventures, a social side, some amazing scenery and feeling of self worth and achievement. And I miss all that. Racing, it seems, is the least of it. So as I look back on 2015, I don't recall it with self admiration and heroic achievements, medals and t-shirts.

But I do acknowledge that my running has been ever enthusiastic, my desire to get up and run is still strong and my enjoyment of simply being outside, whatever the weather, has remained undiluted. The sun doesn't always shine on a morning run. It often rains. The wind is often blowing. The temperature is often cold. And on occasions the sun will shine. But if you're not there, you'll never know. I run because I enjoy it. I run a lot. It's still my passion...and I'm grateful to be going into the new year this way.