Wednesday, 30 December 2015

Here Bear

I didn't get to see the snake...or the bear, despite the threat/hope! The bear was a red-herring, but the snake, or snakes...a real issue. It's curious to be taught to tap out your shoes each morning, not sure of what or who you may find in there. Having been made aware to 'be' aware, it was a slight disappointment. Having said that, I'm also pleased. Not wanting to get all Freudian about it, but snakes are something I could do without worrying about. I've been a few days down in the Eastern Cape. Hot!

Morning runs by the ocean, either post, mid or pre coffee. Most agreeable, I'd say. The mornings were cool and relatively manageable. Besides, any later and that would have clashed with moments of great idleness, or wine...or food. And repeat, was the order of the trip. The wine was good, very good. A wine farm on every corner, much like a farm shop or garden centre here. Except with wine. Really great wine. And when it wasn't running by the ocean, then it was running in the mountains...from where you could see the ocean...

...assuming you could differentiate the ocean from the sky, or the comically blue blue roofs. I'm an advocate of looking up when out running, but when you're somewhere new and quite different like this, there's also interest when looking down. Different colours and textures. A curious crunch, shells from the ocean or shells from trees. A pool with red water. Sun scorched earth with tiny delicate flowers. A rickety bridge. And of course a rather amazing shadow, amazing because it came from the sun...hot on my back.

It was most unlike Christmas...a Christmas that I know and understand. Little visual reference or indeed any reference of any kind. An unusual feeling. This must be what they call 'Winter sun' when other people are lucky enough to get an out of season break. Except this time it's me...running in this heat, blinded by sweat laced with sunscreen stinging my eyes. It's a long time since I've felt like this. Usually at this time of year techno layers soak up your efforts or the bitter wind evaporates and cools.

But here, like on a summers day at home, for a moment, your skin glistens, every pore venting, the heat is all consuming, immersive. It's quite a thing, it makes your senses come alive. It's all you can do not to say 'oooh, it's hot'. But it is. Unlike at home, the notion of snakes lurking in the bushes by your ankles is a challenge. It makes you think where to put your feet, to tread carefully. Let them know you're there...calling 'here bear'. I didn't quite get the connection, but got the point.