There's always people milling around down in The Carrs. A sunny morning like this, there's plenty of runners too. They're not all here for parkrun, though we're encouraged to 'groom'. This morning at the the turnaround of Junior parkrun, I noticed from the corner of my eye that one runner had carried straight on. I looked again, and briefly concluded that he wasn't with us, such was the confidence of his stride and focused determination as he ran straight past. I turned my attention back to the parkrunners.
And then suddenly came to my senses, 'hang on, that lad is about 6 years old, why would he be out for a run on his own?' I chased after him, he giggled and ran faster. Finally I caught him, turned him round, legs still kicking, and pointed him back in the right direction. Trev was keen I stayed behind to watch how they upload the results to 'parkrun Towers'. I think it's him grooming me! It's an amazing organisation really, for something that's voluntary. My morning started a little calmer. A long run starting with a brief stop up at the Edge.
The morning was presenting itself quite magnificently. There's talk of some late summer goodness for the weeks ahead. I'm happy with that, though it's evident the mornings are getting later, my watch sunrise alarm no longer waking me, but confirming what I can see with my already open eyes. Then a ride out this afternoon near my mums. It's different over here. Harvest time and the fields and roads full of monstrous combine harvesters, reminding me again of when we were kids, riding out on our bikes to watch them in the fields.
I found a local cycle trail but soon found I'd stumbled upon the far reaches of Wetherby 10k. Chatting to the Marshal, and member of Wetherby Runners, I ended up enthusiastically cheering them on, bike parked for a while. I was almost envious, seeing that familiar look in their eye, absolutely everyone giving it their absolute everything. My legs were like boards, a spot of runners sympathy maybe, but also due to a pre dawn long ride out with Giles yesterday morning into the hills. It was a troubling start to a complex day.
We were besieged with mechanical issues, but 20 miles of isolation, blue skies, purple heather and hissing tyres...you had to be there. The bacon helped...it's why we came, really. No bacon this morning...just coffee. As I walked down to the park with mine, the Church bells were tolling, calling it's flock. People were gathering, but so too were all the kids and their over ambitious parents heading in the same direction to the park. It was a curious sight. Everyone looking for their Church.




