There's been some running around this week, so that's good. And a bit more on my bike, also good. I've even tried to step up my pace, somewhat, addressing my significant dip in performance. Manning up, some would say. 'Be a man'. There are a number of contexts in which this can be delivered. I am a man. I'm happy to step out into the wilds, face the weather for whatever it has to offer, push myself out of my comfort zone, take risks in pursuit of personal development and handle pain in the name of my sport. Either that, or I'm just an idiot.
Obviously these aren't actions of manliness or have anything to do with gender whatsoever, but they illustrate a degree of self worth. Personal values, I think are more important. I'm happy with my man status. However, I questioned all of this the other day when faced with a path riddled with nettles as I minced, skipped and yelped my way through, cursing my lack of something that would enable me to just get on with it and stop being so soft. It must be childhood memories, along with wasp stings and paper cuts, that follow us into adulthood. They bloody hurt!

