It may seem a bit out of order to challenge well established 'Mum Facts' on a day like today, but another so called truth bit the dust this morning. During the awkward pre-teen years when you'd moan about what you were made to wear, Mum would pipe up with 'don't be silly, no ones looking at you' or words to that effect. Of course you had to believe it, but always wondered if I was different as I was constantly scoping out others...and still do. But it's stuck with me...as has the awkwardness and the hope that no one really cares.
Confidence issues, maybe! Anyway, this morning I was trying to mind my own business on a run down to The Mill. It was a bit later than normal as I had a head full of fog that I was trying to clear, so a few dog walkers were out before me...with their dogs, the dogs being the issue. There was a fair amount of tutting and huffing as I passed by on the narrower paths. Attracting the attention of someone who's walking with their back to you is a skill...I'd imagine. The best solution is for them to naturally hear you coming and not cause a scene.
Worse case scenario is that you approach and breach the natural audible hearing zone where you're forced to state calmly "excuse me" without sounding like a rapist. The alternative is to shout from afar, but then sounding like a complete cock. Alternatively, I opt for a loud splash, or a deliberate scuff. If that fails, maybe a cough. So this guy ahead of me reaches for his dog, grabs his collar and pulls him aside. The guy doesn't look up until I pass. I say 'thank you', but can't help notice he makes a very deliberate eye contact.
This follows me until I'm well passed. Ahead, there's a particularly muddy section. I've got my Sealskinz on, so don't really pay any attention to the route and plough through. Then I hear "ooooh, like a real man...straight through t'middle". I'm not entirely convinced it was a compliment, a joke or what. But I gave a cheery thumbs up and carried on running...a little faster, cursing how dog owners and runners don't mix. I thought of my mum...again wishing I could just be inconspicuous and keep out of trouble.



