There is some debate as to whether today is the first day of autumn or not. It is September 1st, of that there's no doubt. The traffic was a little heavier this morning also, as was the morning sky a little darker, and wet. Perhaps just a regular Monday morning. Meteorological types will state today is the beginning of autumn, yet the astrologers suggest the autumnal equinox on September 23rd is the real deal. All I know, it doesn't feel like autumn to me and my shorts will stay resolutely on until November, come sun or rain!
In isolation, the running around has been minimal. But it's not isolated is it? I've been tired and lacking in any sort of enthusiasm. A Sunday run, the last day of Summer for some, was ok. Stoppy starty, enjoying the scenery and animals who all seemed curious this time early on. The sun took a bit of breaking through, but when it did, it was a fine morning. I came home and never actually went inside, just dicked around under the pretence of doing man work. The sun is promised to return this week. I'm good with that.
I seem to have taken a shine to the animals this last week. A short run out on Thursday had a rampant goat taking a charge at me. Not camera shy, I just missed the moment of impact. It's all very well getting upset, but I guess I was running through his field. I laughed, more out of humiliation at having been done over by a goat than anything actually funny. Good to laugh at yourself. There's a farm I run through near by. If it's not the goat that gets you, then it's the geese who chase you off! I handle it well!
Then early that week I was taking a moment in Richmond Park. It's the scene of where Fenton the dog was filmed chasing the deer. And you can see why. Quite an amazing sight just meters away from where you take your coffee and firey mushroom soup. A most agreeable way to spend some time in the midst or urban London. We have some great parkland and open spaces. Richmond Park may not be popular for running, but my word, there's a huge bike scene going on down there. That raised an eyebrow or two.
Autumn will come. And I will stand like King Canute trying to arrest the forces of nature until I have to accept that's it's getting darker and colder and I need my gloves and long trousers. But it won't stop me going out, embracing and enjoying the outdoors. I've concluded my season is pretty much over as far as racing is concerned. Just 3 of 20 odd races completed for my club. Maybe time to prepare for Cross Country, if there is any focus at all. I've lost a little wind from my sails. But scenes like these remind me there's more to it than just being fast.




