Sunday, 5 January 2014

Warning

I got shouted at yesterday in the Birchwood XC. "Stick to the course", but with more words. Not once, but 3 times by a bloke behind. My crime was to veer towards a somewhat firmer section of the route, within the tapes, but not in the spirit of the game, he eloquntly articulated. That 'spirit' would be to wear little shorts and a tight vest and run through the gloopiest quagmire of a 5 lap XC course I've yet participated in. It's hard not to state the obvious, but strewth, it was muddy. 

I also got a warning at home. It's no longer permissible to strip on the doorstep, but now I have to undress in the shower, such is my inclination to 'roam' in the direction of the fridge where I like to graze for a while before a hose down. Unlike a drive down the A34, I have little time in a race to be critical of other people running. I'm kind of focusing on my own efforts, and really wished he would have done the same. I kept to the course, and beat him. Well...he started it. That's XC for you!

The dawn sky this morning was pretty vivid, for about 5 minutes. And half an hour later there was an equally impressive sunrise over Hare Hill. It's the last day of the Christmas hols. It's been a good break. Lots of runs here and there and great food. I was thinking about this and how quickly its gone. Likewise, in the space of 30 mins or so, the day had also revealed its best and was giving in to the mundane business of the daily wind and rain. Work tomorrow!