My best friend Joe - 'Joe, are you 4? - Noooooooo, I'm FIVE', performed his new magic trick on Friday night; the vanishing ball. Sunday morning and I'm experiencing the same issue. Cold beyond cold and wetter than a wet thing, but Pete and I had a great run out up near his place in High Wray. But Saturday was my first parkrun of the year. Been putting it off really, the reality check of a timed 5k and results published to all and sundry before you've had time to finish your bacon butte.
It's time to step up and get some focus back on speed. James came along too. Thing is, he ran there. 7 miles, then said his plan was to stick on my shoulder all the way round. Sounded reasonable, and polite! A good 5k warm up for me and off we went. The course is a tricky trail run, wet, muddy, slippy, gnarly. Like it. The guy shouts 'go' and James sprints off. Like Helsby last week, another great plan and I'm trying to catch him all the way. But I didn't. I don't mind him beating me, but not after he's also run there.
And then he asked for a lift back. Rude! Anyway, I'm over it now. Early rise this morning and up to the Lakes to embrace the weather and a home cooked breakfast with Pete. An invigorating run in atrocious weather that made every sense tingle with life. 'Makes you feel alive', Pete said. Rain, liquid sunshine? All my running around this week has potentially been raw and lacking any visible or obvious signs of glamour. But you know what, I've had a great week. I'm feeling very energised and enthused right now!

