Tuesday, 7 January 2014

Lock In

If you've ever managed to organise a piss-up in a brewery, then pretty soon you realise this is possibly as good as it gets. Chris last year came close to this; beer tasting in a local micro brewery. A thinly disguised piss up, masked with pizza and music. I still chuckle when I see my 'souvineer' glass in the cupboard at home. James did the same; wine tasting in the local offie. Like a kid in a sweet shop, there was that feeling of genuine joy. Too good to be true.
So, I'm in Glasgow tonight, and therefore missed RunClub. The thought of running around the streets of a busy city, at night in the rain, isn't so appealing. So I googled run clubs and came up with a local group who meet at a running shop called Achilles Heel (ah). Although maybe not as immediately appealing as the local brewery, here were 60 like minded enthusiastic runners experiencing a 'lock-in' in a runners nirvana. Wall to wall shoes, gadgets and Lycra. Nice.
And then we stepped out. No idea where we went, but it was a mix of locals/regulars and a few who'd not been before. Apparently, this was a record turn out. Not a running club as such, but a group, perhaps more aimed at beginners with lots of enthusiasm to get out and run. I enjoyed the spirit. Then I got a bit lost on the way back to my hotel somewhere under the M8. Good fun. I do think had I not engineered this run by appointment, my trainers would still be in my bag.