Well, it's been a while. Much has been neglected on many levels. The photograph here is enough to explain where I've been, the notion of which and my involvement having been illustrated before. I have run, run a lot, but nothing compared to this man. 977 miles he has covered on prosthetic legs, with only a few days on a hand bike. Without gushing, this has been a life changing trip for me. To witness his achievement and the reaction of those we have met on the way has been something very special.
Most of the team joined Richard on the road at some point. Runners or not, when the going got tough, people stepped up and stepped out onto the road for support of different nature. Everyone who did that, finished with a greater sense of understanding of what he has achieved, but also what they were able to achieve. For some, running was a new experience, but one that now has a place in their lives. I'm constantly asked how far I ran. It matters not compared to this man. And curiously, that is the same answer we have all given.
And what now? My own running regime has gone rouge. Though my mileage has been up, way up, 60 plus during these weeks, I've not had the structure. I'm fine with that, and if anyone suggests these have been junk miles, then yes, I have binged on some of the sweetest miles known and I care not. My first Saturday at home for weeks, I shunned the invite for a parkrun and opted for Macc Forest and Shuttlinglsoe. Sunrise with mates. What better way to be rehabilitated back into the local running scene.


