Monday, 21 October 2013

It'll Be Fine

You know how it goes, a bit of Google Mapping, gazing, hoping or actually pretending to commit the image to memory, then out the front door and off you run. Like when the guy gives you directions, you get the first couple of turns, then your mind wonders off as he's still giving it left and right this and that...and you're thinking 'you've lost me mate, I'll figure it out, it'll be fine'. Not that I ever ask for directions, being a man 'n all! I never claim to getting lost. 'Exploring'.

Having a route to run is good. Creating a route is better. And sometimes making that route into a memorable run and something special means poking your nose a little further than you might be comfortable with. When on Google Maps you see a path here, that seems close to there, it looks doable. Until you arrive and you see a fence, or a sign, or a closed and padlocked gate, or a guard. I'm not here to trespass. I just need to be there. Or run around and come straight out again. I'm just a dumb tourist looking for the beach.


Tomorrow I'll know better. Either this is ok, or there's a better way. But today we explored and took a risk. Had fun. Mostly the risks are small. But when you're in a new place and everything is strange, everything seems a little edgy. Then you see another runner coming in the opposite direction. You see, it's ok. So you push a little further, still looking for what you saw on the map, that plan in your mind starting to come together. It sort of feels right, but not there yet. Another gate to crawl under, falling boulders to dodge.

And here it is. The faint path you saw on the map. Blink and you'd pass it. A small track to a little piece of paradise. Another morning, and indeed another empty beach found. Instinct, determination, or just plain luck at not getting caught. Either way, the result is reward for the effort and angst invested. A dip in the ocean, a moments splendid isolation and all is well. Just the small matter of getting back. Back the same way? Never. Circular route, following my nose and the vague recolation of that map in my head. Very vague!

Not quite a Reggie Perrin moment.