A really interesting presentation at RunClub after training last night. Alternative mind-sets and what makes or breaks you in the heat of competition, was the theme. To set the scene, Sarah gave two well known examples. John McEnroe and Pete Sampras and asked the question...which are you? Immediately you got where she was going with this and discussed some curious research on the psyche of these two iconic and unquestionably successful sportsmen. But what motivated them.
One was scared of failure, needed to beat his opposition and be spared the humiliation of loosing, which he never took well resulting in self punishment. The other focussed on his own performance, not worried or phased by his competitors, but simply followed an obsessive and insular desire to be the best he could be. So, which one are you? Why do you train, why do you compete...why do you run? There was a lot of very philosophical debate and open and honest discussion that went way beyond the usual and often tedious analytics regarding pace, diet, schedules and so on.
All I could really add with out-loud words, as opposed to incoherent internal ramblings, was my curious sense of un fulfilment at Dunham a few weeks ago. Smashed my 5k PB by 20 seconds, yet failed to catch Di. I was neither disappointed or elated, but recognised that I should be one or the other. As it happens, it's race 2 at Dunham tomorrow night. Di is now a sub 18 5k'er, so I've let that battle go. And after the humiliation of Bosley Fete last weekend, I simply have to go and be the best I can be!
One was scared of failure, needed to beat his opposition and be spared the humiliation of loosing, which he never took well resulting in self punishment. The other focussed on his own performance, not worried or phased by his competitors, but simply followed an obsessive and insular desire to be the best he could be. So, which one are you? Why do you train, why do you compete...why do you run? There was a lot of very philosophical debate and open and honest discussion that went way beyond the usual and often tedious analytics regarding pace, diet, schedules and so on.
All I could really add with out-loud words, as opposed to incoherent internal ramblings, was my curious sense of un fulfilment at Dunham a few weeks ago. Smashed my 5k PB by 20 seconds, yet failed to catch Di. I was neither disappointed or elated, but recognised that I should be one or the other. As it happens, it's race 2 at Dunham tomorrow night. Di is now a sub 18 5k'er, so I've let that battle go. And after the humiliation of Bosley Fete last weekend, I simply have to go and be the best I can be!


