A late call from Jonnie Peacock meant that instead of spending Friday in Glasgow, I ended up refitting a new shoe to his running blade in Manchester. Jonnie was at the Great City Games today, 100m. He won, but once again I watched with my fingers crossed hoping the thing holds together. I literally have nightmares that the sporting headlines are about a technical calamity rather than sporting prowess. I've seen one of these let go in full flight; it's dramatic and not pretty. Still, a good excuse to cut up a rather nice racing spike.
The day ended with the first in the North Cheshire 5k series at Dunham Massey. Race 1 was anti clockwise and 3 times up the hill. The next time we visit here, it's clockwise and three times down, the latter seemingly faster. Still, my race didn't quite go to plan, deciding the hang on the Diane from the start, whereas I usually let her go and hope to catch later. Just as well, she knocked 40s off her PB, me 20 with 18.34. We thanked each other, citing either the chase or being chased for the result.
Knackered, rather than attempt a spirited ParkRun this morning, the alternative option was to marshal, so logged as an official volunteer. First time I've done this and got a role in the virtual finishing funnel. Great fun, seeing the finishing kick that many manage in the final 30m and how some come to a literal dead stop one step over the line. If you haven't marshaled, give it a go. You know what a cheer means to you when you need it. Many events like this depend on volunteers and more often than not, we just take.
