Another blog and another race report. I'm not really happy about that, but I've not run much this week, other than training, as today was Chester Half Marathon and it would seem I need at least a full days rest or more before an effort like this. Headline...1.28.04. A new PB. What I will add, though, is that Chester Half is one of those events that welcomes you into the heart of the city. The Town Crier started us off from the Racecourse and the finish was bang in the middle of the town in front of the Town Hall.
Often these events are subcontracted to the suburbs, but today in Chester, it was the Half Marathon, no mistake. Unless you parked in the racecourse car park. That was a mistake. From getting back to the car and closing the door, it took longer to get to the car park gates than it did for me to complete the race. Toilets were also good at Chester. In fact, in the absence of any open air 'Gents' within an arena usually occupied by the Cheshire Gentry and the Pony Club, there was ample provision of portaloos like I've never seen before.
No queueing and at one stage only 30 mins from the start of the 6000 runner event I had an entire section to myself. And clean. Curiously felt compelled to photograph the moment. Wrong, I'm sure! But the race was awash with liquid, the organisers choosing those small water bottles that you take a couple of slurps of then dump. Wasteful, but easier than cups and inhaling rather than swallowing. And then more at the finish. Those portaloos got a second sitting while we edged our way out of the car park for almost two hours.
Something else that caught my eye as I gazed down saying my pre-race prayers, was the variety of footwear. What is it with those Vibram things? Pete has some, though no news from that corner! I ran hard today, nothing accidental about this PB, and that familiar feeling of being chased and a compelling urge to give up. I'm ashamed to say on that last hill at the finish, my hands were on my hips again. I need to stop that, it's not a good look! Regrettably, there were cameras everywhere and tomorrow I'm expecting evidence that confirms as much!



