I was looking forward to my Sunday run. No pressure, no watch, a vague route in mind...that was my plan. Up early and out when it was quiet, no one around, a great tonic to the mayhem and emotional carnage of the National Open Road Relays at Sutton Park on Saturday. And then I bumped into Paul and Paul followed by Sharon. They were off in a different direction. Declining their offer to join, I carried on out in to the lanes. It was so quiet, a static heavy mist cooled the air making every breath feel kind of crispy freezer fresh.
Ah, there's Diane and Toby. A chat, declining again the offer of company and on my way. Then I bumped in to Jason, followed by Steve. More chats, enjoying the morning, joined them for a bit before bumping into Diane again, but finally breaking away and pushing for home. I've never these deserted lanes so busy this time on a Sunday morning. Fun though, everyone sharing the same idea and passion. Then finally a couple of miles from home, there was Louise coming in the other direction.
She too had a run that wasn't quite going to plan, so we both decided to sack it off and grab a Starbucks. Louise is a proper runner! I can't really elaborate on that, but her running is on another level. A Stockport Harriers runner, she has an elite women's starter place for the Manchester 10k this next weekend. She was chatting to me about the importance of having a plan and sticking to it. I sat there listening to her, watching her eating her banana as I lay in to my muffin. Banoffee.
Her plans are all about numbers. If you can measure it, it's got a value. It always easy to be destabilised by what someone else is doing or has. But I was happy with my plan this morning. Although I'm inherently antisocial, I liked the fact I bumped into everyone. But I'm also pleased I was able to resist temptation and just carry on and do my own thing. I liked my muffin too. I don't carry a fiver with me on a Sunday morning by chance. All part of the plan.
And so to the Relays. Wilmslow managed to put out a mixed team in the V35 category. I say mixed, most of us nearer 50 than 35, but hey, we were there and did our best. The top teams were knocking out the 8 legs with times around 15 mins for the 3 mile course. We came 17th out of 33 teams from all over the country. I managed 18.11 and fifth fastest in our team. Team running...that certainly puts a spring in your step!