Sunday, 4 November 2012

Doubt in Tatton

The thing about James, he pulls out a performance from seemingly nowhere...except despite all the hoo-haa that precedes it, you're somehow not surprised. It started mid week. Man flu, not been running all week, though tried a modest trot and nearly died, he says. Then he went quiet until last night. Wasn't sure if he was going to come, would let me know first thing this morning. He called. He was going to risk it. 'Risk'...curious choice of word.

He'd been up all night, too much wine, chesty...it went on. And on. Then it's all "Rich, what you wearing..." this a conversation we had when we arrived so there was no changing any outcome. It was cold in Tatton Park at 8.30 this morning. Just above freezing, so it was all about hat, gloves, vest, long sleeves or what! Uncertainty in every question, then doubt in every answer. To cut a long story short, he nails a 1.28 for the half. Impressive...and yet so very annoying, this latent talent he has. 

I, on the other hand, stood on the start line this morning with neither ambition or a plan of any description, only legs like lead. Had it not been for my £22 investment, I'd have been at home. So we set off on one of the most beautiful courses I've run. The sun showed its face, the deer looked on in bewilderment as we ran through the park and the locals came to cheer as we ran through Knutsford village. At 5 miles, I'd done with plodding, my legs awake, so stepped it up.

By mile 10, I was in battle with a Chorlton Runner, knocking out the last 3 in 6.55 pace. 1.38 for me with a rather substantial negative split! It is what it is, but as a run out, and after yesterday's effort, it was great. Those who didn't do Langley yesterday mostly pb'd, many of my group making sub 1.30. I want to be in that club! In some respects, James's doubtful attitude is similar to my indifferent approach to todays race, neither of them positive. But the potential is there! We just need to believe.

A lovely course at Tatton. This was it's first event and I think it's going to grow and grow. Despite the traditional traffic chaos that seems to snare any event organised here, there's so much space once in the park, it felt really relaxed and calm. The park sections are great and the out on the lanes, there's much to catch the eye. It's also clearly a fast course with a few undulations, shall we say, but essentially flat. It'll be going into my diary for next year. Well done James...a good effort...considering!