As the saying goes, I don't know about wine, but I know what I like. There's a scene in The Trip, where Rob Brydon is asked by the waiter; "Wine Sir?" "Oooh, yes please. I like wine", he chirps in defiance of Coogans plea for some wine sophistication. I was in France this week, and for modest corporate entertainment we were treated to a wine tasting session. To me it just seemed like wine, wine and then more wine. Only when the red was unleashed, did my taste buds waken.
But all around everyone was taking it very seriously with much swirling, sniffing and slurping. This was no Vinopolis! It did leave me with a slight 'head' the following morning, however, once again admitting that I had brought my running shoes on an unecessary trip without seeing the light of day. In one respect, that was the issue. It was dark and foggy and our hotel was in the middle of nowhere. The odds were against me! I'd had a good RunClub session on Tuesday and was disappointed I'd not carried on the momentum.
Friday however, James called and suggested a sunset run up Shuttlingsloe. Nice. I don't proclaim to have great observational skills, but the light was stunning and if you looked, I mean properly looked at it, it was changing moment by moment. On the way up through the trees the sky was turning red, just tinting the clouds underbelly and laying a rich carpet of colour and faint shadow over the higher moorland. The sky was dark blue, the moon adding to the faint light, yet clear for as far as you could see.
I guess this was the magic of twilight. Windy on the top, but cold enough for us not to hang around too long, except for a few photos. On the way down we stopped to watch the lights over Manchester flicker into life, somehow exaggerating the feeling of being far away and exposed. We started to wonder if head torches would have been a good idea, clearly it was getting dark and as we entered the trees again, the light all but vanished. It was difficult for the eyes to adjust.
Flanked by woodland embankments either side, topped with the dense tree canopy above, the only light was what spilled between the tree trunks, a curtain of vertical black and white contrasting shards. It was very surreal and hard to capture accurately. Finally back to the car and it was dark. Timed to perfection, I'd say. But really this was just a chance run and more evidence that if you're just thinking about a run about up here...stop thinking, drive out and just do it. You'll be rewarded and have a story to tell!
Back home, I must confess I ate like a King and spent most of Saturday largely immobile. James again dragged me out for another run, this time road miles to add to his marathon training. Out to Alderley past AZ and all the way to the top and back down the by-pass. It couldn't have been a greater contrast. But that is the variety of running, I guess. Running down the by-pass, again it was almost dark, traffic roaring by, the sound of engines and tyres chucking up water and filth from the road, car lights illuminating the rain and road spray that slowly soaks through to your core,
A steady pace, a comfortable silence between James and I as we knocked the miles out, this brings it's own rewards, hard to describe, hard to explain. It's Sunday and the weather has turned again. I'll run out later, then enjoy dinner with a glass of my favourite red. I'm still not sure about the wine tasting. I don't get it...probably much the same as the cars that pass us in the rain, their occupants looking at us with that look! They're not getting it either.
But all around everyone was taking it very seriously with much swirling, sniffing and slurping. This was no Vinopolis! It did leave me with a slight 'head' the following morning, however, once again admitting that I had brought my running shoes on an unecessary trip without seeing the light of day. In one respect, that was the issue. It was dark and foggy and our hotel was in the middle of nowhere. The odds were against me! I'd had a good RunClub session on Tuesday and was disappointed I'd not carried on the momentum.
Friday however, James called and suggested a sunset run up Shuttlingsloe. Nice. I don't proclaim to have great observational skills, but the light was stunning and if you looked, I mean properly looked at it, it was changing moment by moment. On the way up through the trees the sky was turning red, just tinting the clouds underbelly and laying a rich carpet of colour and faint shadow over the higher moorland. The sky was dark blue, the moon adding to the faint light, yet clear for as far as you could see.
I guess this was the magic of twilight. Windy on the top, but cold enough for us not to hang around too long, except for a few photos. On the way down we stopped to watch the lights over Manchester flicker into life, somehow exaggerating the feeling of being far away and exposed. We started to wonder if head torches would have been a good idea, clearly it was getting dark and as we entered the trees again, the light all but vanished. It was difficult for the eyes to adjust.
Flanked by woodland embankments either side, topped with the dense tree canopy above, the only light was what spilled between the tree trunks, a curtain of vertical black and white contrasting shards. It was very surreal and hard to capture accurately. Finally back to the car and it was dark. Timed to perfection, I'd say. But really this was just a chance run and more evidence that if you're just thinking about a run about up here...stop thinking, drive out and just do it. You'll be rewarded and have a story to tell!Back home, I must confess I ate like a King and spent most of Saturday largely immobile. James again dragged me out for another run, this time road miles to add to his marathon training. Out to Alderley past AZ and all the way to the top and back down the by-pass. It couldn't have been a greater contrast. But that is the variety of running, I guess. Running down the by-pass, again it was almost dark, traffic roaring by, the sound of engines and tyres chucking up water and filth from the road, car lights illuminating the rain and road spray that slowly soaks through to your core,
A steady pace, a comfortable silence between James and I as we knocked the miles out, this brings it's own rewards, hard to describe, hard to explain. It's Sunday and the weather has turned again. I'll run out later, then enjoy dinner with a glass of my favourite red. I'm still not sure about the wine tasting. I don't get it...probably much the same as the cars that pass us in the rain, their occupants looking at us with that look! They're not getting it either.





