Thursday, 20 September 2012

A Wet Thursday

Ever watched Wilfred? The next time I'm running through The Carrs and see a couple of dog walkers minding their own business, chatting, enjoying the morning, I'm quite tempted to run straight at one of them, in that do-or-dare way, forcing them to move, else I'll just clatter into them. And then I'll run round and round, shouting at the top of my voice 'hey hey hey hey'. And then when they walk off in another direction, because I will be very annoying, I'll run round and carry on, jumping up and down waving my arms and generally creating a bit of scene.  

'Hey hey hey hey', I'll carry on, while all the time my mate will stand their with a silly grin saying 'it's OK, he's friendly, he likes you really'. Then I'll take a swipe at their ankles and nonchalantly walk off! I like dogs, I try to be non threatening, but the ultimate way of exercising that is to not go out. Seriously, it's becoming like snipers alley down there. All I want to do is to get to the woods. A wet and miserable morning (the weather, my mood's just fine, clearly) I just wanted some clear air, not a fight.

In the woods I see there's a new bridge, where once something more substantial stood. I'm not sure how to describe it, the new Valley Bridge. A triumph of minimalist engineering representing everything a contemporary interpretation of the Greg family's vision for the Styal Estate back in the 1800's, or... err...not! I guess we should be thankful it's been replaced. It re-opens previous route combinations that have involved a modest diversion in recent months. I crossed it out of curiosity, rather than need. As with the dogs, I survived!