Sunday, 20 May 2012

Motivation...Got It?

An essentially quiet week of running around, I couldn't muster a response from anyone for a social run, so have just been out on my own. Too busy, alternative schedule or just no reply, but occasionally, it's good to have a leisurely run out and a stimulating conversation to listen to; I've never really managed the simultaneous run/chat thing. To cap it all, my Garmin has turned it's back on me, so I really have been running blind and dumb, if not deaf. The strap's been lashed with an elastic band recently, but now the other end has gone. 

I did Park Run with Chris on Saturday, at Wythenshawe. It's a good flat course, though the going was very soft, mainly being run on grass and trail. Aside from  last week, this has been my first timed 5k for a while, and didn't the result show...20.19. Not great. What I forget, with not running competitively regularly, is having the confidence to push yourself and believe you can hold the pain for the duration. Having said that, I'm not convinced there was much left in the tanks, but I'm a good minute off where I was and want to be.

It was then off to Llanberis with Pete to meet up with Jason at the Slateman Tri. On the way, we had a good chat about motivation, and what it really is. Pete was saying he's lacking motivation to train since he's back from Eilat, citing tiredness, no time and no 'motivation'. Yet in the build up to Eilat, there were absolutely times when he had less time, was more exhausted, under huge pressure of work and family, yet went out in foul weather at all times of day and night. During those literal dark times, did he appear outwardly or feel inwardly motivated? I'd say not, but there was clearly some greater force at work, a higher level of motivation than we perhaps acknowledge or understand that inherently drives us through those periods. That's proper motivation. 

Sliding the van door open at 6.00am this morning after a reasonable nights sleep, I stuck  my camera out to sample what the day had to offer. It revealed a promising start. Still air and clearing blue skies. There were 5 of us camped out, 2 vans and a tent. I was the only one not competing. Pete was here to lay to rest some demons from last year, Jason simply because he enjoys it. You can feel his passion for this sport, so upbeat and positive, seemingly not competitive, but puts in the work behind the scenes. Just had a text from him about the day 'Love it'. He loves his bike too, and his tools...sleeps with them! On the course, he waves back when you cheer him on, cracking jokes, whereas Pete never seems to see you, focussed, but after always says the cheer genuinely helps and gives a boost. Two blokes, same sport. Drive and Passion...a minute separated them today!

I felt a sense of being left out today, no question. It's the swimming thing...again. It was a great trip, good tea and cake, but what I really wanted to share was to be out there, taking on the environment. What a stunning part of the world. At the foot of Snowdon on one side, and the raw savaged topography of the slate mines on the other. Imagine being put to battle in that. And I did, as I watched 750 others take it on. It was a phenomenal event. You'd think I could muster up some motivation to do that. A run to The Mill after I got back...that scratch needs itching.