Sunday, 4 March 2012

Cloud Nine

"A state of elation or extreme happiness". And a hint of concern! The cakes were getting eaten before the race had even started. I had to ask if there'd be enough for when we came back and was assured there would. Too right, never before have I been in such an overly catered race as this. There were soups of varying varieties, bread rolls, teas, coffees, hot chocolates, enough bananas to keep the Stock household happy and cakes...well, lets just say this was a fine day of running around at the Cloud Nine Hill Race.

The race was OK. Hard for sure, and it's clear I've lost a lot of form since my injury. And I'm still hesitant to push my ankle. My feet were like ice blocks and went numb by about 3 miles. After that, it felt like every footstep was a dull uncontrolled thud, and I couldn't work out if my ankle was fine or not. I taped it up before the race in some tacit hope this would help, but after loosing feeling, I was just guessing and hoping for the best. Mixed terrain but mostly muddy, I think I had the right shoes today, but I might have to experiment with socks in the future, other socks, that is. Socks are good, obviously. The tape was not. The adhesive was excellent and is still mostly on my foot! 

The bum bag issue developed into a game of chicken. When we arrived, in pouring rain and 3 degrees with a threat of snow on the tops, which there indeed was, it was announced the kit requirement would be relaxed, so no bum bag needed. After having spent the week catastrophising about bum bag content related issues, the new game was to see if you were hard enough not to take your bag. I opted for the bag, but that was essentially empty. Who was I kidding? Ridiculous! 

I didn't really race today. I set off with a sprightly attitude, but this soon gave way to caution. I hope that doesn't translate to some mental weakness. I could just be making an excuse for a poor performance, but in the end, I was happy to trot round. It was a great course, well marshalled and great organisation. The sleety weather was kind of embracing, though at one point I was wondering what kind of useful garment I could make from an empty bum bag as a guard against the weather. At the finish we were all invited to don our Tesco sponsored foot covers before we were allowed back in the Leisure Centre in Congleton. I had my soup and although not quite elated, I was happy.