Wednesday, 21 March 2012

80085

Professionally speaking, I'm a leg man, and this naturally gives me licence to appreciate a nicely turned calf, thigh or similar. As a young lad, much of this must have passed me by. Back then, in the depths of West Yorkshire, it was tractors that turned heads, and Ford Cortina's, especially the 2.0S; none of that interior velour or tan vinyl roof nonsense that the Ghia had. And then there was Leeds United. I knew nothing about football at school, and still don't, but I knew who Peter Lorimer was, Billy Bremner and the like.

As a kid, you were desperate to be 'on trend', as I hear other people say today! So when a 1970's Commodore calculator appeared at home this week, complete with it's mains power supply and dimly lit green LED digits, I was transported back to those days when we smuggled early Texas Instruments calculators into school and didn't have the foggiest idea what to do with them. And then, like now, I immediately tapped in 50337. Turn it upside down and there we are; 'LEEDS'. 'Ha ha, guess what I've just spelt?' I asked, gesticulating to the upside down vintage calculator. 'BOOBS', came the swift reply. And it was right then at that point I realised that if anyone had experienced what is known as a 'mis-spent youth', then somewhat ironically, it was me.

It's been a day for reminiscing. This morning it was the first time I've been back into The Carrs and around Styal Mill this year. I felt like a stranger in my own back yard. I've lost the intimacy of this place, something you know so well, you watch and feel it breath, living, changing day by day. But this was like a first date, as I fumbled my way round, stopping to explore the fun bits, turning around and having a second go. But someone else has been on my patch. I was reminded that the rugged wilderness of the woods around the Mill aren't so rugged after all, but well kept and maintained bridleways and footpaths by the National Trust. Where else do you see a resplendent 'Men Working' sign in such an environment as this?

I stopped and started my way round, taking photos, reminding myself of how it used to be and how everything has changed. The daffs are out everywhere. It'll be Bluebells next. The early morning ladies are still there, with their little dogs, but even now, the one who clearly had no hair for such a long time was sporting a full thick head of lovely grey hair. There's a story there. I wonder if she feels the fresh morning air, come rain or shine is part of her tale. In contrast to how I feel taking all this in, everything feels fresh. Spring is here.