I have some new friends. Imaginary friends. But the relationship is already starting to wear thin. They're becoming a little predictable. I know what they're going to say next, not in that 'I know you so well I can almost read your mind' type way that is loaded with intimacy and affection. But more 'I know, you keep saying that, please don't say it again'. The cheeky grins are beginning to irritate, words of encouragement turning to cheese, familiarity is breeding contempt. We have gone beyond routine and I sense the relationship is starting to break down. Think Tom Hanks and Wilson...sort of.
This is me hidden away in my front room with my new friends from the 'Rides' cycle training DVD's (Pete's loaned DVD's to be more accurate). I'm thankful for its structure, something BBC2's Eggheads and Michael Portillo don't really have. I guess this is the world that is home fitness training. I'm just desperate to maintain a degree of fitness while my ankle somehow fixes itself. I wonder why I'm sat on this bike, thinking perhaps that this is still sport. I don't even own a proper bike. Maybe I should flirt with Davina. A different sport. But this kind of training requires dedication. To apply this much effort, to endure the discomfort which is almost the only sense experienced. And to have gone nowhere, seen no one, no adventure. Admiration for those who do. It's not running around, though. Apparently, I can be heard chatting to my new friends!