Sunday, 15 January 2012

Bonus Hill

Saturday marked three weeks since I last donned a pair of running shoes. It seems like a lifetime. I'm missing it greatly. Aside from anything else, I'm simply missing being outside. I can't walk any great distance, so the most fresh air I get is driving with the window down. Think dog with head out of car window...that's me, flapping ears and inflated cheeks. I'm seeing lots of luminous yellow on the roads, new Christmas apparel drawing attention to their puffing and panting owners. I try hard not to mount the pavement and bump them off. Jealousy is ugly. But there are other cues that remind me of what I miss, the view from the corridor as I leave work that hints at a spectacular sunset.

Early morning on the M6 as the sun is rising, frost on the ground, thunderous clouds in the sky, flood signs on the roads. All these things remind me I should be out there, because it's dark, because it's cold, because it's wet, because it's muddy...because I enjoy running. In an article in the paper at the weekend, one of those that helps newbies get fit, states 'you should run primarily because you enjoy it'. Not as punishment for your Christmas bingeing.

Saturday morning and I felt like I was being punished. On the spin bike once more and to the front my view is of my heart rate monitor, my 'Rides' friends and Saturday Kitchen. Behind me, clear blue skies, crisp frosty carpet. The contrast was huge. Almost laughable, but I try to remain focused and positive. Does it show?! To ease the pain, I cashed my last remaining chip, the last variable of engagement on the DVD menu.


The ultimate living room riders high...I've been saving myself for this; 'Bonus Hill'. I make it up in one piece, my new friends encouraging me all the way. However, I think it's fair to say, I've 'done' Rides - Southern California. Pete, my 'dealer' will meet me later and we'll do an exchange. The Hill Country of Kentucky awaits. I can only begin to imagine. But for now, James Martin has my eye, or rather his Cream of Cauliflower Soup with Parsley and Apple Gnocchi! To the kitchen, I think.