When it comes to managing ones weight, I'm a firm believer that energy-in is proportional to energy-out. Under normal circumstances I eat like a horse and within that there is a fair degree of 'indulegence' shall we say. Cake, as we know, is my pleasure. Not a guilty pleasure, just an open and proud consumer of cake. But despite my best efforts in the saddle, so to speak, I'm aware that the tide has been turning in my cake/life balance.
And while I'd usually be out and about running because it's what I like to do, I'm climbing on the bike with a degree of loathing and out of duress because I need to 'burn'. My friends at Rides chirp in (18mins, 3 seconds) "Remember why you're doing this, own your goals, stay with the pack", but I do find myself questioning my goals. Yes, because I want to hang on to some fitness, but I'm also trying to manage my weight...and I've never really had to do that before. Of course, I could eat less.
There, easy to say. But for the first time I find myself possibly understanding what it's like to have an addiction. The notion of giving up cakes, for example is challenging. Much easier just to run more...double fun, having my cake and eating it! So visits to my local coffee shops have taken a turn. No more lattes, it's fruity teas all the way, for example. Banana for lunch, maybe a satsuma also. I have also been spending a little more time in the kitchen, pretending to engage in healthy eating projects.
For example, I've been making bread. Not any old bread, but Walnut Bread laced with Black Olives and Sun Dried Tomatoes bread. That's recreational bread, not bread for food. There has been a slab of Granola/Flapjack, very healthy but for the whole pack of butter that seemed to go into it. A pretty impressive Apricot and Orange Rice Pudding, went down rather well. And then I couldn't resist making a Raspberry and Blueberry Lime Drizzle cake. Oh, and Pea and Mint Soup, to go with the bread.
And all this last weekend, because while I was having a workout on the bike, I was watching Saturday Kitchen and got a bit of a taste on! It's a calorie double whammy, a vicious circle of feeding the machine that currently exists only to feed itself more. The big needle on the scales is holding it's own. My arse cheeks, on the other hand, are not. Saddle sore. I'll be needing one of those doughnut shaped orthopaedic cushions soon. Mmmmm...doughnuts!
And while I'd usually be out and about running because it's what I like to do, I'm climbing on the bike with a degree of loathing and out of duress because I need to 'burn'. My friends at Rides chirp in (18mins, 3 seconds) "Remember why you're doing this, own your goals, stay with the pack", but I do find myself questioning my goals. Yes, because I want to hang on to some fitness, but I'm also trying to manage my weight...and I've never really had to do that before. Of course, I could eat less.
There, easy to say. But for the first time I find myself possibly understanding what it's like to have an addiction. The notion of giving up cakes, for example is challenging. Much easier just to run more...double fun, having my cake and eating it! So visits to my local coffee shops have taken a turn. No more lattes, it's fruity teas all the way, for example. Banana for lunch, maybe a satsuma also. I have also been spending a little more time in the kitchen, pretending to engage in healthy eating projects.
For example, I've been making bread. Not any old bread, but Walnut Bread laced with Black Olives and Sun Dried Tomatoes bread. That's recreational bread, not bread for food. There has been a slab of Granola/Flapjack, very healthy but for the whole pack of butter that seemed to go into it. A pretty impressive Apricot and Orange Rice Pudding, went down rather well. And then I couldn't resist making a Raspberry and Blueberry Lime Drizzle cake. Oh, and Pea and Mint Soup, to go with the bread.
And all this last weekend, because while I was having a workout on the bike, I was watching Saturday Kitchen and got a bit of a taste on! It's a calorie double whammy, a vicious circle of feeding the machine that currently exists only to feed itself more. The big needle on the scales is holding it's own. My arse cheeks, on the other hand, are not. Saddle sore. I'll be needing one of those doughnut shaped orthopaedic cushions soon. Mmmmm...doughnuts!
