Tuesday, 22 November 2011

It's Me or the Dog

I like dogs. I know people who have dogs and they're all lovely fine animals, each with their own personality and character. I have friends who run with their dogs and there's never any trouble. I'd have a dog but for my allergies. If ever I meet a dog, I always turn away slightly and offer the back of my hand for a sniffy hello. Just following the rules of engagement, being polite. It's not hard. On the trail, I'm also courteous to walkers. And especially dog walkers, trying not to run at a dog or cause alarm. I don't want to be regarded as one of those scoundrels of the countryside who 'ruin everything' for ramblers, like the green laners and cyclists. I'm stereotyping now, but I know I wouldn't be happy if I run up on myself without giving a little warning, or leaving plenty of space, and perhaps offering a cheery 'hello, thankyou' as I pass. Again, it's not hard, is it. Don't get me wrong, I do own a high horse. I was on it this morning, running through the village when a cyclist appeared out of nowhere, on the pavement and battered me on the shoulder. I did suggest the 'f++king road' might be a better place for a grown man on a pushbike, not the footpath by the railway station on a busy weekday morning. Thankfully, my high horse is so high, I don't think he heard me harrumph. Actually, he made me jump. Startled. And that's the thing. That's what I try to avoid doing to others in the woods on the trial, making them jump. I don't want to scare people.

Not the actual dog!
So where's this going? Well, I've had another episode with a dog this morning and it's kind of spooked me. Just at the bottom of the steps, completely on my own, no one ahead or behind and I'm just having a gentle trot out to loosen the legs from Sundays half. Then from nowhere, this small but thick-set white-ish dog runs out from the bushes coming right at me, on a charge, eyes wide open, teeth showing with that kind of low guttural gnarling, rather than loud boisterous barking. I've got a split second to decide what to do. In fact, what can I do? What should I do? Seemingly I should stand still and avoid eye contact...be passive. Yeah, I was feeling passive alright. No owner in sight, no one calling. Just me and this spitting dog. Can't see a waggly tail, but do clock a collar made from chain that wouldn't look out of place wrapped around a motorbike wheel. It's not stopping. We're about to make 'contact'. I'm now seeing it's teeth and my bony ankles in the same frame of sight. It's me, or the dog. So I kick. Make contact. Then I'm having to jump, trying to keep my legs a moving target while facing the dog, as it's circling me, I'm not daring for moment to loose eye contact. Then, what in fairness was probably only about 3 seconds later but seems like a lifetime, a kid appears, berating the dog, charges in, grabs it, pulls it away and puts a chain on, apologising, saying it's too quick for him and sorry to have disturbed my run. And what do I say...'no problem'. What an idiot (me). I charge off...for oooh, about 15 seconds before I come to a stop. Shaking.

So that's twice in a few weeks now. Is it me, or the dogs...or the owners? How could I have avoided that? Either way, on the run back through the park, I was very cautious, suspiciously covered in paw prints. I was the only person in the park without a dog...and it was busy. Perhaps I just find somewhere else to run...or fight dog with dog! Think I was just unlcky. OK, there was no blood today, but I'm an adult, I'm a man... and that scared me today. Imagine how the squirrels must feel, ha ha.


On a lighter note, I went for breakfast to a top cafe South of Nottingham last week...The Picture Cafe. Pretty awesome pecan and apple tart, with an excellent rooibos tea . Pleasing!