Thursday, 17 November 2011

In Need of Light and a Plan


It seems Christmas is coming, confirmed by my seasonal 'requirement' to have a Starbucks Caramel Latte with a Christmas Mince Pie. I saw my first one this morning... had to have one. Don't know why. Did I feel slightly Christmassy...no. But pie is pie and I dealt with it swiftly and somewhat without emotion. I've faltered with my running this week. It's the dark. I get home, look outside and simply just can't be arsed going out into that. If it were light and sunny, there would be no issue, I've concluded. But because it's dark, I seem somewhat less inclined. I've not yet ventured out on my own into the woods with my mega-lumens head torch, so it's the footpaths for me. And what a struggle. I swear there is less risk running in pitch darkness with a head torch in the woods than there is running on street lit pavements.

I'm forever stumbling, tripping over stuff and being blinded by car drivers who only seem to dip their lights for other cars, not the drivers. People not in cars don't warrant that...or they don't see me, despite my reflective apparel. It makes me a bit grumpy! Spent an interesting morning at the English Institute of Sport in Eastlands, Manchester with one of our profiled athletes Jody Cundy. Not running, but cycling. It made me want to go home and wish I'd had a proper training plan of some sort to follow like they do. Instead, I went to RISE, my prefered coffeeshop in Wilmslow, ironically just as a whole squad of British Cyclings future talent rolled out. They frequent this place often as a 'fuel station' of choice. Perhaps I am following a plan after all. It is indeed Conwy Half this Sunday. My preparation...zero! Let's see what it brings.