Sunday, 13 November 2011

Bath Night

Apparently I have a beard. I haven't grown a beard. I just haven't shaved. But today I was forced to look in the mirror. It's Sunday and it's bath night. Often the best shave of the week after a weekend of laziness, super smooth awaits. But I have been lazy over the past week. Not a Mo-vember thing...did that last year. The 'Trucker' was my style of choice. I say choice, we all did it at work, and when in work it was fine. but out of work, it was not. I'm not a fan of the tache and the inevitable 'Village People' references, but I looked such a tool. I'm happy to groom, and be groomed, but today another man said to me 'nice beard, suits you'. Whoa, easy! So I looked in the mirror and tonight I will have to decide. My unshaveness is attracting attention.

I had a pretty grim trip back from Glasgow late on Friday night. Wind and rain on the M74/M6 all the way, battling with lorries and near zero visibility at times. At about 10pm I stopped at Westomoorland, grabbed some food and a hot chocolate and chose to sit in the car, rather than mix with the locals, wind and rain buffeting the car as I sat there, My phone pinged, an email from Pete. He was telling me he'd just done a run over the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fransisco and in the Marin Headlands. What was I up to?, his question. I sat there chuckling at the contrast. All I had planned was another round of the XC series at Sherdley Park up at St. Helens on Sunday. Another 9.6k and three laps of a random park. Not quite California, but the best that was on offer.

I know I keep bleating on about it, but laps and racing...nope. Yet it's because of this, because I fear that the reason I don't like it is because I find it hard, this is the very reason I make myself go. What's that all about? Anyway, turned out to be quite a beautiful day for a run round a park. More blue sky and low sunshine. One thing I like about these races, the start time for senior men, 2.30, well, it's just how it is. That's when the gun goes, 14.30.00 exactly, ready or not. It's part of the no-nonsense 'appeal', if that's the right word.

In all, there are seven races at each 'match' covering all the age and sex categories, start times all governed by the clock, and five 'matches' over the winter season. It's a team based event, and costs the equivalent of 50p a race to enter. The standard of entry seems quite high. I had a reasonable race for once. A steady first lap, I found myself really holding back, while managing to also stay in contention with a few 'marks' ahead. Second lap I had a couple of club mates on my shoulder and then on the third lap I ran for home. Managed to shake off the guys behind and bag a couple of team mates ahead. Perhaps one of the first tactical races I've run. Still didn't enjoy it, obviously, but left feeling like it had done me good, in a hardy type way! Christened my new spikes, too. Time to get that bath running.